Approved by the Library Board of Trustees
July 23, 2007
The Van Buren Public Library offers Notary Public Services for the benefit of the residents of our community. The following guidelines will be followed for the Notary Service:
• Library Notaries are scheduled during the Library’s hours of operation.
• It is recommended that customers seeking Notary Service call the Library prior to their visit to ensure that a Notary is available at that time. The Library can be reached by calling
• Valid photo identification – driver’s license, passport, or current employee ID – is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
• The Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
• Notary Service is not available for deeds, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, or depositions.
• Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are: birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates.
• Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity doubt, or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
• Notary services are provided free of charge by the Van Buren Public Library. In lieu of fees, donations to the Library are welcome.